Well, I unpacked the enlarger, taped a few bin-liners to the windows and experimented a bit.

I used some old paper that was packed in with the enlarger and trays (making it at least 25 years old, probably well past 30), developed in Rodinal (the only suitable developer I had, since 30 year old developer is probably even more of a crapshoot than 30 year old paper), used a water stop and my normal fixer.

Note that this is a bad scan from an office copier. The actual print is much sharper and has no banding.

As you can see, the paper was heavily fogged1, but the image is still recognizable. Considering that I pretty much winged both exposure and development, and this is the second print I made (ever), I’m actually pretty satisfied.

Specs: Neopan 400@320, Rodinal 1:50; Ilford Ilfospeed #3, Rodinal 1:25

I just ordered some fresh paper and a proper paper developer. More to come…

  1. Interesting detail: The paper was probably older than the girl in the picture []

Tags: ,

Leave a Reply